How do I update the BIOS on my Dell?
- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BLANK, FORMATTED, BOOTABLE FLOPPY DISK READY (Microsoft XP will not create a "Bootable" floppy)!!
- Go to www.DELL.com.
- At the top, middle of the web page is a link for "SUPPORT", click it.
- Enter your service tag number and hit return, or in the drop-down box, select your computer model and click "SIGN IN".
- A "My Account" sign in may pop up; feel free to close this out.
- In the right column, click on "DOWNLOADS".
- Use the drop down box in section 1 to select "FlashBIOS Updates".
- Below the 3rd section, click on "GO".
- On this next screen click on the blue colored link in the "Select a device" box.
- On the next screen click on the blue link in the "FlashBIOS Updates [BIOS]" box.
- The next page will show 2 executables under the "File Name" sections. Choose the one for a "Floppy" (this word is listed under the "Format" box) and click it.
- You will have 2 choices under the "Download &Install" box. Choose the "Download now using HTTP."
- A "File Download" box will pop up asking you if you want to open or save the file. Click on SAVE.
- The next box will ask you where you want to save it. Double click on "desktop". This will save the executable to your desktop as an icon that you can double click on.
- Go to your desktop, double click on the newly created icon, insert your floppy disk, and follow the directions to download the BIOS update.
- After the floppy is created, turn off your computer and re-boot with the floppy in the drive. Follow the steps to update the BIOS.
*In a few machines, the drivers for certain hardware may need to be re-installed after the BIOS update, you may need your original operating system disk to perform these tasks.
4 ALL MEMORY DOES NOT WARRANT THE FILES (INCLUDING ANY FIXES AND UPDATES) PROVIDED IN THE DOWNLOADABLE FILE LIBRARY AREA(S) OF THE DELL SERVICE & SUPPORT WEB SITE (THE "SITE"). ALL FILES AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD (THE "FILES") FROM THE SITE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS." IN CONNECTION WITH THE FILES, 4 ALL MEMORY MAKES NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OF TITLE, OR OF NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. USE OF THE FILES BY A USER IS AT THE USER'S RISK AND IS DEEMED ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS. IN NO EVENT SHALL 4 ALL MEMORY BE LIABLE TO THE USER FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING FROM USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE FILES, INCLUDING ANY DAMAGES AS A RESULT OF VIRUS INFECTION OR OTHER CONTAMINATION, INCLUDING ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST SAVINGS, OR OTHER INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF 4 ALL MEMORY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANOTHER PARTY.